We've just taken delivery of the second printing of our 2015 re-issue of Phil Sabin's Legion, so those who missed out first time around can now pick up a copy from the Society webstore for £15 (£12 for Society members) plus shipping.
Rule book Cover
Sample counter art
If you are feeling daring you could even pick up the reprint of Phil's Strategos II rules or John Graham-Leigh's new Simple Campaigning booklet while you're at it.
We are very pleased to say that Slingshot 302, for September - October 2015, is now arriving on doorsteps, and is available for purchase separately through the Society webstore.
Contents of Issue 302 include:
- Annihilation Battles & Army Sizes in Rome’s Conquest of the Mediterranean
- Montaperti 1260 Battle Day Report
- Dux Bellorum – Bending the Rules
- New Works on Early Byzantine History
- Choices and Compromises
- Polybius and the Gauls
- Battle Day Reports – Hydaspes 326 BC
- with Art De La Guerre
- with Rameses II
- with DBA 3
- Road to Disaster
- Slingshot Reviews
Hope you enjoy!
Note that we also have some new stock for you this month: John Graham-Leigh's excellent booklet Simple Campaigning is now available. More information at this link here.
Slingshot is issued six times a year to members of the Society of Ancients. Membership currently costs £24 for six issues and includes access to Society games, publications, member discounts and the Society forum. You can subscribe or re-subscribe through the store at the Society's website, http://soa.org.uk/joomla
The editor is always looking for more articles, photographs and art, so feel free to contact him through email@example.com if you have an idea.
Also, all remaining pre-2011 Slingshots are now available at £5 per year's set. If you are interested in picking up cheap hard copies of older Slingshot bundles, more information can be found here.
For more information about joining the Society of Ancients see our homepage at http://www.soa.org.uk/joomla
The Society of Ancients is proud to announce that John Graham-Leigh's new wargaming booklet, Simple Campaigning, is now available for purchase from the Society's web store.
A compilation of John's campaign articles featured previously in Slingshot, Simple Campaigning includes revised material, updated maps and new illustrations gathered into one convenient package in an attractive format designed by the very talented Justin Swanton.
- Solo Campaigning. Solo mini-campaign set in the Hellenistic world, 200BC-100BC. Battles can be fought out on the tabletop solitaire or against other players.
- More Solo Campaigning: Angevin Empire. Solo campaign simulating the attempts of Henry II and his sons to hold and expand their empire. Includes a combat results table that can be consulted in place of tabletop battles if desired.
- Solo Campaigning Across the Steppes. Driven by the Mongol conquest but also including potential internecine warfare in Europe, the Near East and Asia. These battles can also be resolved by dice if desired.
Sample Campaign Map for Across the Steppes.
- Millennium Campaign - Europe 1000-1100 AD. Another solo campaign on the grand scale, following the Normans, events in Germany, Spain, Eastern Europe and the East.
- Crisis of Rome Campaign. Set in the 3rd Century AD players take on the role of prefects within the Roman Empire, seeking fame, fortune, and the throne against a backdrop of internal intrigue and aggressive Barbarian incursions.
- The Wolf on the Fold. Players take turns to command the Assyrians over three centuries and, as Assyrian power wanes, switch to play their challengers until the Assyrian Empire collapses.
- The Calamitous Fourteenth Century 1350-1450. Includes the Hundred Years' War, German turmoil, the Golden Horde in Eastern Europe and events in the Balkans.
In all, the booklet features seven campaigns over 48 pages for a cost of only £7.50 (£6 for members). This should be a very useful addition to the wargamer's bookshelf.