I previously mentioned I would update this blog, along the same schedule for committee meetings, with my progress report on Slingshot.
I manage the content of Slingshot from a single large spreadsheet. When I get sent material, I put the wordcount and other information in the spreadsheet. From this I get a vague idea of how much material I need to "fit" in the next issue, and can juggle the articles accordingly (writing some material as necessary). I can also work out if I'm short of material on a particular area (typically a gaming system) and can chase up accordingly.
The wordcount for Slingshot does vary: the average since 258 (when we went to 60 pages) is about 54,300 pages per issue, or 922 words per page (the actual page number since 259 has been 59 pages, the last non-cover page being used for events).
So, some numbers:
- Right now I would seem to have enough material for about the next two and a half issues, although new material is always welcome, and it allows me to maintain a better balance of material (so don't stop sending it!)
- of the material available for future use (across all issues): 26% DBA, 25% FoG, 18% WAB, 8% DBMM, 7% CCA, 6% WMA, remainder is other.
- of the material printed from 257 to 265: 15% DBMM, 14% DBA, 12% FoG, 10% WAB, 8% AMW, 6% Armati, remainder is other
- overall: 16% DBA, 14% FoG, 13% DBMM, 12% WAB, 7% AMW
- of material available: 63% 28mm, 20% 15mm, 18% 2mm (! - actually one article)
- overall, including above and printed, since 257: 73% 28mm, 14% 15mm, 6% 20mm, 4% 6mm, 3% 2mm
- top 5 write 35% of material (material printed since 257 plus material available for future issues)
- top 10 write 51% of material
- top 15 write 63% of material
- top 20 write 71% of material
As for the next issue, I'm still waiting on the illustrations. I expect a laid out version to go for proof some time next week.