The current issue of Slingshot (number 287, March/April 2013 - yes it is running very late*), the bi-monthly publication of the Society of Ancients, is now available for individual purchases from the Society web store. Individual copies are in very short supply, due to the reduced print runs we are now running - less than 50 copies are available at this point to those who haven't taken out subscriptions. Get them fast as we won't be printing any more!
Slingshot 286 includes 52 full colour internal pages. The contents of Slingshot 287 are as follows:
- Editorial: Slings & Arrows
- In Search of the Iphikratean Peltast/Hoplite, by Jim Webster
- A Short History of the Iberian Peninsula from 400 to 1100AD, Part 3: Enter the Moors, by Robert Heiligers
- Transjordanian Tales, Part 4: Three Great Kings and a Pharaoh, by Alastair McBeath
- The Western Mediterranean Way of Warfare Debates, Part 2.1: Way of Warfare, by Roy Boss & Mark Grindlay
- War, Games and Wargames: Part 2, by Richard Taylor
- Galatians on the March! … at the Victorian 2012 Field of Glory Competition by Steven Neate
- The Sussex Cup 2013: A DBA Tournament Report, by Richard Pulley
- Reviews, by Steven Neate & Gordon Lawrence
You can join the Society at www.soa.org.uk/store. There's also, alternatively, a special offer for a combination Membership + discounted "Conquest of Gaul" gaming set available via our friends at Warlord Games.
* … and as a result of this tardiness, a new editor will be in charge as of Slingshot 288, with a brief to get the release schedule back in line.